Enhancing classroom learning environments by design.
Furniture design is allowing today’s educators to create more engaging, effective and inspiring learning environments. The importance of design principles can’t be overestimated. From a psychological standpoint, classroom furniture can make the student feel welcome and embraced at her or his first glance. From a functional standpoint, the shape of the desktop can make it possible or impossible for multiple groups of six to work in within a classroom. And from a student performance standpoint, design can mean students can concentrate while seated, or be distracted by resisting restrictive furniture. Here are some design principles that make a subtle, yet profound difference in school furniture.
• Accessibility Smith System ADA Desks offer more than ADA compliance, their cantilever leg design, removes the legs on the side of the desk closest to the student for easier ingress/egress.
• Adaptability For something that lasts as long as school furniture, adaptability in is crucial, assuring the furniture offers the full range of functionality now and into the future.
• Adjustability Furniture has to be made to fit the student, not vice-versa. Our desks offer adjustability; our ADA desk offers maximum adjustability.
• Clustering Smith System pioneered clustering student furniture through new designs in desktops. Today each of our product lines offers multiple choices in cluster furniture.
• Durability Longevity is designed into Smith System furniture, through the materials we use and the craftsmanship in its construction.
• Mobility Mobile furniture is being embraced by educators. Smith System offers mobile desks, mobile school chairs, mobile storage, and mobile library shelving.
• Ergonomics Smith System furniture is designed with an understanding of the needs of students, which is reflected in the ergonomic performance of our seating and desks.
• Extensibility Extensibility adds a dimension of functionality to furniture. The customization possibilities of our <UXL™> line of furniture may be the ultimate expression of extensibility.